Fishing from Viking Island
Douglas Lake and surrounding area
Click on the map for a larger version
When you fly into Viking Island, you are leaving roads behind and entering Woodland Caribou Provincial Park. Walleye, Northern, and Lake Trout fishing is excellent here. Douglas is the main lake within a group of deep small productive lakes. It is at the top of the watershed flowing east into Red Lake. When you travel to Embryo, you cross into the watershed running west to Lake Winnipeg in Manitoba.
From Viking Island, there are many directions to go. Each day can be a different adventure. The staff at the island give you plenty of advice but you plan your own trips and drive your own boat. You can fish the main lake for an hour or two and come back to the lodge for lunch. If you prefer an adventure, there are many possiblities. You can boat or canoe
up a river, walk a portage, or take an overnight night trip
The lakes within easy reach include Onnie, Spider
, Peterson, Page, Frank's, Hatchet, Caribou, Embryo, Anchor
, and Foley Lakes.
A Different Adventure every Day
- Fish on Douglas Lake for walleye, northern, and lake trout.
- Take a trip down Onnie Creek; a 2 hour sightseeing adventure, and then fish Spider and Onnie Lakes.
- Take a beautiful portage trail to Peterson Lake. Fish lake trout and northern on this remote lake. Travel on to Page Lake to get even further from home.
- Portage up a steep hill to Hatchet and fish for huge northern or continue to Caribou for lake trout.
- For a two day adventure go all the way to Embryo Lake and stay overnight. Food and linen are provided. Fish for huge walleye. Go to Anchor Lake for nice eating sized fish. No extra charge for this trip.
- Take the kids for an afternoon of action packed perch fishing on Foley Lake.
- Further more strenuous trips can be planned for the ambitious fishermen.
- Plan a 3 day Canoe Trip from Viking Island. Stay at Embryo Cabin one night and in a tent at Onnie Lake the second night.
Overnight Cabin at Embryo Lake
On a small island in Embryo Lake stands a quiet cabin. Guests can boat and fish their way through Hatchet and then Caribou Lake on their way to Embryo. We supply all the food and linen for your one night stay at the cabin. Then after a night to yourself and some fishing, make your way back home to the lodge. If you prefer a float plane can take you out to Embryo Lake.